- Many merchants prefer to issue store credit for returned merchandise rather than refund money to a customer.
- Stone Edge has the ability to issue store credit which can be redeemed the next time the customer places a Manual or POS order.
- The program is not able to apply store credit against imported orders as payment information is processed, however.
- The Orders and Transactions tab of the Customers screen also includes store credit information in the Transactions section of the screen.
- The Store Credit History report shows each store credit transaction that occurred in a specific time period.
- The merchant should review the Store Credits Remaining report periodically to see their current liability by customer, which represents potential sales revenue in the future.
- Store credit information is not transferred to QuickBooks. The merchant should consult their accountant to update QuickBooks with store credit information.
Issuing Store Credit when Products are Returned
Point-of-Sale Order with Customer Information
- Click the [Recall Order] button or press the [F4] key (default setting of the POS Hot Keys).
- Locate the appropriate order record by selecting one of the buttons on the Recall Order screen.
- Click on the [Return Items] button, which opens the Return Items screen.
- Select the items the customer wishes to return, by using the [Select All] button or select individual items by checking the box in the corresponding row of the Return column.
- Specify the number of units to be returned to inventory in the Add Back column. Cannot be more than the number of units being returned.
- In the section of the screen labeled How to Issue Credit for Return, select the [Issue Store Credit] radio button.
- Then click the [Process] button.
- The program will print asales receipt, reflecting the credit that was issued.
Point-of-Sale Order without Customer Information
- Most users configure the POS system to automatically approve POS orders by setting system parameter ApprovePOSOrders to TRUE.
- It is not possible to issue store credit to a customer from the POS interface without having customer data included in the order.
- It is also not possible to reload an approved POS order to the POS interface so that customer data can be added to the order at a later date.
- Therefore, if items are returned against an approved POS order with no customer information associated with it and the merchant wishes to issue store credit for those items, it is necessary to exit the POS interface to add the customer data to the order before the credit can be issued.
- This function will most likely require a manager, or someone with administrative privileges, to perform it.
To add customer information to an approved POS order and issue store credit, complete the following steps:
- Exit the POS interface (F12).
- Click the [View] link of the Orders section on the Main Menu.
- Scroll to, or search for, the appropriate order.
- Once the order has been located, select the [Addresses] tab.
- Click the [Edit] button under the SOLD TO text box on the left-hand side of the screen, and add the customer’s information. Click [OK].
- The Store Credit can then be issued one of two ways:
- by the Credit Card Terminal tab of the Orders Screen
- click the [Payment Terminal] button
- click on the Store Credit tab
- fill in the proper Trans/Amount and click the [Issue Store Credit] button
- the program will prompt the user to verify that the credit is being issued to the proper customer, if correct, click [OK]
- click the [OK] button to acknowledge the completion of the store credit transaction
- by returning to the POS interface to issue the store credit
- click the [Recall Order] or [F4] button and then click the [Return Items] button
- on the Return Items screen, click in the [Return] check box for each item that is being returned, and select the [Issue Store Credit] radio button
- click the [Process] button
- Review system parameters ApprovePOSOrders and ApproveIncompletePOSOrders to determine if POS orders should be automatically approved. The merchant can manually approve POS orders at the end of the day via the Multi-Order Processor screen, if they are not automatically approved by the program. Use one of the “pending orders” Quick Filters, such as Today’s Pending Orders, at the Orders or Multi-Order Processor screens to view these orders.
Imported or Manually placed Order at the Process Orders Screen
- Click the [Return/Exchange] link of the Items tab while viewing the affected order.
- Select Create a new Return/Exchange and click the Let’s Go! button.
- Choose a user from the Entered By drop-down list.
- Choose whether to generate anRMAand then fill in the related fields.
- Click the Next button.
- Use the [Mark All] button to select all items in the order for return or select individual items by clicking the Return check box in the row of the appropriateline item.
- Choose whether to create an Exchange and if so, when the replacement item should be shipped.
- Click the Next button.
- Make selections regarding any fees related to the Return/Exchange and click the Next button.
- Click the [Save] button and respond [OK] to acknowledge the return was processed successfully.
- Click Payment tab of the Process Orders screen.
- Select the Log Credit link in the Accordion to open the enter Amount of Credit Issued screen.
- Click the Issue Store Credit button
- Respond to the program’s prompt to verify the information on the customer record matches the customer information on the order. If it matches, click the OK button.
- The Print Credit Slip screen opens so the user can specify the number of copies of the Credit Slip to print and if an email notification of the credit should be sent to the customer.
- When all selections have been made, click the Print Now button to send the report to the printer immediately. Click the Print Later button to send the report to the batch printing queue. If an email confirmation was selected, the email is send at this time, as well.
Redeeming a Store Credit
- Open the POS interface and create a new order.
- Add line items to the order, using the [Prod Lookup] button or [F6] key (if the user has not modified the default settings of the Hot Keys).
- Click on the [CUST LOOKUP] button or press the [F5] key (if the user has not modified the default settings of the Hot Keys).
- Manually type in the customer information in the Add Customer Information screen or use the [Search] button to locate an and select an existing customer record. Click [Save] to return to the POS interface.
Process Orders Screen
- At the Process Orders screen, navigate to an order with a Balance Due or use the [Reorder] link on the Order tab to create a new order.
- Click on the Payment Tab and choose the Log Payment link.
- Click the Apply Store Credit button at the bottom of the enter Amount of Payment Received screen.
- In the Pay column, check the box of each credit that should be applied toward this order’s outstanding balance.
- Click the [OK] button.
Manual Orders Screen
- Enter the customer information on the Customer tab of the Manual Orders screen. If system parameter ManualOrdersShowStoreCredits is set to TRUE, the program pop-ups a display of any remaining credit the customer may have.
- Use the Items tab to add products to the order.
- When finished adding products, billing and shipping information, go to the Payment tab and click the Apply Store Credit button.
- In the Pay column, check the box of each credit that should be applied against the Balance Due.
- The user should verify the credit is being issued to the proper customer. If correct, click OK to apply the credit against the balance due.
- Save the order.
Related System Parameters
|System Parameter||Parameter Comments|
|ManualOrdersShowStoreCredits||when adding a customer to a Manual Order, set this parameter to TRUE to have the program display the total amount of store credit the customer has available to them|
|POSIssueCreditAsStoreCredit||set this parameter to TRUE to issue refunds to the customer as store credit|
|ShowStoreCreditBalanceOnPOSInvoice||set this parameter to TRUE to display the amount of store credit available to the customer on the POS Invoice(their sales receipt)|
|StoreCreditHistoryTemplate||specifies the name of the template that should be used to display some or all of the store credit transaction activity that has occurred; the program supplies a default report for this purpose, it is only necessary to change this parameter if a custom report has been created|
|StoreCreditsRemainingTemplate||specifies the name of the template to be used to print/display unused store credit by customer; the program supplies a default report for this purpose, it is only necessary to change this parameter if a custom report has been created|