This article discusses the operational modes of Magnetic Stripe Readers(MSRs) supported by SEOM and how to configure the program to use those devices to process payment transactions for POS Orders.
Currently, only MagTek Mini Mag MSRs have been tested and approved for use with SEOM. Other Magtek models or other manufacturer’s products may work, but they have not been tested by Stone Edge Technologies Inc. are therefore not considered to be “supported”.
SEOM is able to use Magnetic Stripe Readers (MSRs) that function in the following modes:
- Keyboard Emulation Mode – this mode makes the MSR appear as a keyboard to the PC, regardless of the actual type of hardware connection.
- Magnetic Stripe Readers that require the use of a Serial Port are not supported.
Configure SEOM to use a Magnetic Stripe Reader in Keyboard Emulation Mode
- If the device is purchased new, the default settings of system parameters CCReaderPrefixTrack1-3 and CCReaderSuffixTrack1-3 should match the internal configuration of the Magnetic Stripe Reader. If the device has been configured to operate with other characters, you must change the SEOM parameters to match. This can be done by one of two methods:
- Go to Main Menu > Settings > System Functions > Set System Parameters and set parameters CCReaderPrefixTrack1-3 and CCReaderSuffixTrack1-3.
- Go to Main Menu > Settings > System Functions > Point-of-Sale Setup > Scanners and enter values in Track1-3 Prefix and Track1-3 Suffix.
- Click Save. For more assistance with setting parameters, please review the Knowledge Base article, Set System Parameters.
- You may also need to download a utility from the manufacturer to disable the CR (carriage return) and LF (line feed) functions, which is a requirement for the device to work with SEOM.